In general, and except in specific circumstances as noted on certain grant applications, the foundation is unable to make grants directly to individuals.
The majority of our funding is proactive and made to U.S. tax-exempt organizations that are independently identified by our staff. (Tax status definitions)
Please keep in mind that although your project may appear to fall under the guidelines of what we fund, the area of funding may not accept unsolicited proposals. (Glossary of terms)
Please check our list of organizations that may be able to provide you with additional guidance or support.
Examples of areas the foundation does not fund:
- Direct donations or grants to individuals
- Projects addressing health problems in developed countries
- Political campaigns and legislative lobbying efforts
- Building or capital campaigns
- Projects that exclusively serve religious purposes