The power of nutrition
what’s the challenge?
Malnutrition is an underlying cause in nearly half of child deaths each year and prevents millions of other children from growing and living to their full potential. It’s one of the biggest barriers to progress we face and undermines progress to practically all of the Global Goals. For too long, nutrition has been an underinvested area of health and development.
what’s the opportunity?
Global Goal 2 promises Zero Hunger—to ‘end malnutrition in all its forms.’ The good news is many countries are on course for meeting many of the Global Goals targets, but we still need to do much more to scale-up proven interventions and research new solutions.
The Power of Nutrition, founded by the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation (CIFF), the UK Government’s Department for International Development (DFID), the UBS Optimus Foundation, UNICEF and the World Bank is an innovative partnership working to tackle the damage to children’s lives and futures cause by undernutrition. Every dollar invested in The Power of Nutrition is multiplied at least 4x, increasing the impact for children everywhere. Since it was created just over two years ago, the Power of Nutrition has already invested almost $100 million in the futures of children in Tanzania, Liberia, and Ethiopia.
the accelerator will:
- Highlight how committed country governments can leverage the matching mechanism of the Power of Nutrition to scale proven, high-quality interventions to reduce undernutrition.
- Bring partners together to announce $250 million in planned new investments in four countries—Madagascar, Benin, Cote d’Ivoire, and India. This investment will reach millions of children through interventions such as the provision of micronutrients and education on infant and young child feeding.
- The Power of Nutrition
- Children’s Investment Fund Foundation
- UBS Optimus Foundation
- UK Department for International Development
- World Bank
- Comic Relief
- Nutrition International
- Tata Trusts
- Margaret A. Cargill Philanthropies
- Government of Benin
- Government of Cote D’Ivoire
- Government of India
- Government of Madagascar
What you can do
There are many ways to play your part to fight malnutrition. The next three months are a golden opportunity to do so when this fall, at a high-level in Italy, leaders have the opportunity to show their commitment to scaling up action. You can find out more about actions you can take via the SDG 2 Advocacy hub a http://sdg2advocacyhub.org
You can find out more about The Power of Nutrition at http://www.powerofnutrition.org/