We are inspired by the mission, All Lives Have Equal Value, and compelled by the opportunity to make an impact -- before, during, and after our time at the foundation. Experienced, and highly engaged, we set aspirational goals, and hold ourselves, and each other, to high standards.
We are guided by four values: Optimism, Collaboration, Rigor and Innovation. We live these values and consider how we work as important as what we do. Along with our partners, we take on complex challenges; we continually test new approaches and embrace change where it will facilitate the best outcomes. Employees describe our environment as intense, fast-paced and stimulating, to match the ambition of our strategies.
The co-chairs are highly involved with the work. We collaborate with myriad partners, and have access to world-renowned experts and leaders. Our current and former employees form a diverse, extended and supportive network. We strive for an inclusive environment where, no matter our background, we can each do our best work.
The work we do involves solving complex problems and, as such, provides us with unique learning experiences. We have a growth mindset, and regularly find opportunities for feedback, learning and development. We are responsible for our own professional development, supported by our managers. We strive for continuous improvement, not perfection.
Compensation and Benefits
We offer competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits program that reflects the foundation’s values and culture.
For employees based in the United States, health, vacation, and retirement benefits include:
- Medical/vision and dental for employees, spouses/domestic partners, and dependent children (100% of monthly premiums paid by the foundation)
- Life, disability, and travel assistance (100% of monthly premiums paid by the foundation)
- Employee savings retirement plan and foundation sharing retirement plan (15% of eligible compensation contributed by the foundation)
- Healthcare and dependent care reimbursement accounts
- Minimum three weeks' vacation in addition to 10 observed holidays, 3 personal days, and 12 sick days
- Voluntary benefits plans, including supplemental life insurance, group accident insurance, pre-paid legal, long-term care, pet insurance, and discount auto/home insurance
Opportunities to continue education, achieve personal and professional goals, and support the community include:
- $1,500 annual life cycle lump sum payment for employees' discretionary use
- Business Travel-emergency assistance plan
- Back-up care for children and adults/elders
- Employee assistance plan
- Employee matching gift program with a 3:1 match up to $30,000 per year
Employees based in Africa, China, Europe, and India also receive competitive salaries and benefits, reflective of local pay practices.
The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is dedicated to the belief that all lives have equal value. We’re committed to creating a workplace where employees thrive both personally and professionally. We also believe our employees should reflect the rich diversity of the global populations we aim to serve—in race, gender, age, cultures and beliefs—and we support this diversity through all of our employment practices.
All applicants and employees who are drawn to serve the mission of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation will enjoy equality of opportunity and fair treatment without regard to:
- Sexual Orientation
- Gender Identity
- Gender Expression
- National Origin
- Genetic Information
- Veteran Status
- Marital Status
- Prior Protected Activity
- Any other bases protected by law