Effective Date: February 23, 2013
Welcome. This Policy is designed to help you understand generally how Gatesfoundation.org and other Foundation Web properties (the "Site") collect personally identifying information about you and how the Foundation uses and discloses that personal information. Gatesfoundation.org is a Web site of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (the "Foundation," "we," "us" etc.), a charitable trust existing under the laws of the State of Washington, U.S.A. You may contact us at our Address For Legal Notices below. This Policy applies to information that personally identifies you (other than publicly available information) ("personal information") collected on Gatesfoundation.org or any additional Foundation Web properties or third-party sites managed by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation or, where indicated, other information you provide to us.
Table of Contents
- How Does This Policy Relate to Use of the Site?
- Information We Collect That You Do Not Provide
- Information We Collect That You Do Provide
- Information You Provide About Others
- What We Generally Do with Personal Information Collected
- Your Ability to Update Personal Information
- Information Security
- Your Particular Consents
- Identity Theft
- Information About Enforcement of Our Policy
1. How Does This Policy Relate to Use of the Site?
This Policy is supplemented by additional policies relevant to particular activities, and each of the supplemental policies is incorporated into this Policy. Here are examples of areas in which you will encounter supplemental privacy policies but this list is not complete: if a supplemental policy is included on the Site with respect to a particular activity, or if one is included on a Third Party site relating to the mission of the Foundation, those supplemental policies will also apply and are also incorporated.
2. Information We Collect That You Do Not Provide
Sometimes we collect personal information without you having to enter any information on the Site. For example, we may receive personal information from public sources or from third parties (which we may combine with other information from other sources).
3. Information We Collect That You Do Provide
It is always your choice, or the choice of anyone acting for you, whether to provide personal information. However, some must be provided to participate in certain programs or activities (such as to apply for a job), so the decision not to provide information might limit or eliminate certain functions of the Site or the ability to participate. Other information is up to your good judgment, e.g., do not provide personal information about yourself that could be misused by others in a chat room, bulletin board, blog or similar forum and do not provide personal information about others without their permission. The kinds of personal information we tend to request about you or others include but are not limited to your name, email address, native language, organization name, job title, city, state / province, region, age, locations for internet access and devices used. Additional information about what we collect is available in any supplemental privacy policies for particular activities.
4. Information You Provide About Others
5. What We Generally Do with Personal Information Collected
In general, we use personal information we collect to pursue our mission and operations and to engage in the activity (and related activities) for which we collect it. Specifically, we may use your personal information to:
- to fulfill our obligations to you and to respond to any questions or requests;
- to contact you about material changes in our site terms or policies;
- to comply with the law or in good faith belief that such action is necessary to conform with the requirements of law or to comply with legal process served on us;
- to provide to third parties as a result of any reorganization process;
- if you sign up for a blog, feed or newsletter, we may put you on our mailing list or even the list of a Third Party who we think has a similar mission.
- if you apply for a job, we'll use the information to find out about you and share it with service providers and others we view as relevant to the employment process.
Further information is available in the supplemental policies for some activities, but you should assume that we will use all information for all lawful purposes. Subject to applicable law, we reserve the right to make all lawful, worldwide uses of personal information, including without limitation, to: collect, use, access (or bar access), process, fulfill, disclose, display, share, respond to legal process or otherwise exercise our rights under applicable law, transfer, store, verify, enforce, delete, and otherwise deal with personal information, and information other than personal information (collectively "Disclose").
6. Your Ability to Update Personal Information
To the extent our systems require your personal information, in general, they provide the ability for you to update your information. If you have any questions about what personal information about you the Foundation retains, please contact us at email@example.com. The foundation endeavors to keep your personal information accurate and up to date. If your personal information has changed, you may submit your new information there as well. Some activities allow some updating, e.g., you may update your "Jobs" profile by using the functionality in that section of the Site.
We keep personal information for as long as we think is necessary or advisable and we reserve the right to retain it to the full extent not prohibited by law. We may discard personal information in our discretion, so you should retain your own records, and not rely upon our storage of any personal information or other data.
7. Information Security
We use reasonable technical and organizational measures to protect the personal information received from our users from unauthorized use or disclosure.
8. Your Particular Consents
- Consent to International Transfer and Disclosure of Personal Information. We are involved in programs and activities in a variety of countries. You agree that the Foundation and those with whom we share personal information ("Recipients") may Disclose and transfer your personal information worldwide (including outside the European Economic Area, if you are based in the European Economic Area) for any purpose relating to our or their mission, operations, programs, or otherwise that is not allowed or prohibited by this Policy.
- Consent to Electronic Notice If There is a Security Breach: If we or a Recipient is required to provide notice of unauthorized access or other invasion of certain security systems, you agree that we (or they) may do so when required (or voluntarily) by posting notice on our Site or sending notice to any email address we have for you, in our (or their) good faith discretion. You agree that notice to you will count as notice to others for whom you are acting, and agree to pass the notice on to them.
We do not want to collect information from children. Do not provide any personal information unless you are at least 13 years of age, and please caution your children not to provide any. If a child under 13 has provided personal information, a parent or guardian may so inform us by writing us at Our Address for Legal Notices (see below) and we will use commercially reasonable efforts to delete it from our database, subject to applicable law and this Policy.
10. Identity Theft
If anyone believes they're a victim of identity theft entitled by law to request information from us, write us at Our Address For Legal Notices and we'll explain what information we require in order to respond. After receiving that information, we’ll supply (without charge) information we then have that we are legally required to provide (subject to applicable law and reserving all rights and defenses).
12. Information About Enforcement of Our Policy
Our Address for Legal Notices:
Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
P.O. Box 23350
Seattle, WA 98102
Information That We Collect in Jobs. In addition to the personal information that we collect on the Site generally, in the Jobs section you may set up a "profile" which will require you to supply your email address and create a password and secret question to allow you to access your profile later. When you create a profile, submit an application, or authorize us to obtain a "consumer report" (such as a background check), we tend to collect this kind of information: name, address, telephone number, resume', employment, compensation and educational history, previous grants from us, social security number (or national insurance number for an Applicant based in the UK or other local equivalent) and so on. We keep track of when applications are submitted and persons using your password can see several months of that history by clicking on "My Jobs" if you have a profile.
The information submitted about an Applicant online tends to be preliminary information. If we think there might be a good fit for a position, we often will ask the Applicant to complete a more formal application and also to authorize us to obtain a "consumer report" or "consumer investigative report." Under U.S. law, a "consumer report" is a report bearing on credit worthiness, credit standing, credit capacity, character, general reputation, personal characteristics, or mode of living which is expected to be used or collected to serve as a factor in establishing Applicant's eligibility for employment. An "investigative consumer report" tends to be the same thing but the information is obtained through personal interviews with neighbors, friends, associates or acquaintances etc. of the Applicant. Both kinds of reports (or other information we collect) can include information from court, administrative and criminal records.
Access to Information. You may update your profile personal information by using that Site functionality in the Jobs section. The foundation retains profiles in accordance with our records retention policy. We reserve the right to delete them and other information stored by or for you, so don’t store, for example, the only copy of a resume with us (and sometimes information will need to be re-entered). Profiles may be deleted at any time upon request by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org. Neither changes to or deletion of a profile will alter information already submitted or relied upon.
- to recruiters and other third parties who help us authenticate Applicants or review qualifications and credentials or to contact references;
- to our affiliates and other Third Parties or persons with whom Applicant might work if Applicant gets the job;
- when we are looking for someone who might fit a job need of ours or a Third Party, and to contact a previous Applicant to see if he or she might be interested in a job for which the Applicant did not apply. However, we do this in our discretion and without any obligation to do so;
- to communicate about receiving the application or about the job for which application was made, or to deliver legal or other notices; and
- to comply with applicable laws such as checking names against anti-terrorism lists or complying with immigration restrictions.
If Applicant gets a job with us, we store the application and other information upon which we relied in Applicant’s personnel file and we may base post-employment decisions on it (including disciplinary actions).
- You should assume the Site, storage and use generally is not encrypted and you should take steps to promote security (e.g., see the "Passwords; Redact Your Resume" section above).
- Please be wary of email "phishing" or other scams by persons pretending to be us or a Third Party working with us – if you are contacted and asked for sensitive personal information such as financial information or your social security number etc., you should assume that someone is trying to defraud you. We will already have that information if you provided it to us on one of our documents and so will anyone with whom we share personal information: generally we don’t need to ask for it again. If you'd like to check with us to help determine if the person communicating with you is really us or someone we shared with, please contact email@example.com.